Saturday, January 21, 2012

UPDATE FROM THE GERHARD FAMILY....

Just want to update everyone on Jon's condition. We met with his Neurologist on Tuesday 1/17 and saw his brain scan and it wasn't good. He has many tumor's, more tumor than brain tissue... He is not very coherent, can have visitors, but can't really hold a conversation well. He remembers everyone but has very limited short term memory. There are no more treatment options for him and we will not be having any more doctors visits. Hospice has taken him on as a patient and they are helping us in many ways, therapy for me and the kids, better pain management, volunteers to come stay with him so I can run errands... the list really goes on and they have been amazing so far.
Jon and I spoke earlier this year about how he wanted me to handle his end of life wishes, in terms of who he wanted to see and who he wanted to me call. He wanted me to reach out to everyone he knows and let you all know that you are welcome to come see him if you would like. As you all know, Jon's friends are his family and he has a very, very big family. He loves all of his friends so very much and if anyone would like to see him just give me a call and I will make it happen. 415-879-0797. I just have to mention that he can't see more than 2-3 people at a time, he gets really overwhelmed. I also know that many people deal with this type of issue differently and we respect anyone that would rather not see him this way and it doesn't mean you love him less, we know that.
Fortunately for us, Jon is still his wonderful, silly, loving self and the tumors make him do weird things but he isn't aggressive or angry at all. He doesn't actually know what is happening and even if he is told he would not remember.
I also want to thank everyone for all of the support, love, food, donations and kindness that you have all shown us during this hard time. Knowing you are all out there ready to help if needed helps me know I am not alone. We love you all and thank you from the bottom of our hearts for everything you have all done. Love, Lynn, Jon, Dean and Olivia Gerhard